Sunday, October 21, 2012

Billy Liar: Interview (from my archives)

Interview with Billy Liar in August 2010 for Subba Cultcha. Article published Aug 30th 2010.

The acoustic punk rocker Billy Liar sits down and answers my questions

The natural poetics capture normal life’s balance and tension while the clever idiosyncratic fusion of punk rock and acoustic guitar is each observations fanfare. He’s a town centre wordsmith and back street philosopher combination, engaging your weary minds with songs you can relate to without ever feeling patronised or wrongly represented. Already a veteran of his craft, and aged just 23, he’s possibly played more venues than someone from his generation would expect and recently added a shed-load of air miles clocked up during a recent series of gigs… in New Zealand, something most of his peers can only gawp at. Ever since 2007’s debut EP ‘Come Back To Edinburgh’ enchanted both public and media alike it’s been more swings than it has roundabouts for the Glasgow based musician. The recently released second EP ‘It Starts Here’ was produced by Acey Slade of Murderdolls and Amen notoriety and it continues to spearhead the march of Billy Liar across our planet. Fresh from his  slot at this year’s Rebellion Festival in Blackpool I tracked down the itinerant punk and demanded he answer my specially prepared questions. Like a true champ he obliged most kindly.

From Billy Liar the band to Billy Liar the solo performer is a transition you made some time ago now. Was there specific reasons for wanting to go it alone?
It’s a one man mission! How else can I say it?! I will keep playing with friends of mine but it will never be a band again.

You can never be accused of not putting in the spadework when it comes to playing live. You’ve pretty much graced every punk rock/live music venue in Scotland plus as many beyond that. It’s obviously something you are passionate about doing, and I know it definitely wont be about the cash. Is it more about playing live for you than it is is anything else or is it a means to raising the profile for your future development as an artist?

It's just purely about trying to play my songs to as many people as possible. The more times I play, the more I learn how to make them better and also I just love meeting new people. Touring non stop gives me the opportunity!

Staying with the live thing, you played some gigs in New Zealand recently. How did that come about? How did they take to the music of Billy Liar?
I supported The Rabble when they played in Scotland and became really good friends with their drummer Rupe. He put me in touch with Andrew who runs a company called Act-Up Promotions and has been The Rabble's booking agent in NZ for years and has also been involved in the making of lots of their music videos. Andrew sorted the whole tour and I had a blast while I was out there. A lot of people came to the shows and Andrew shot a video for me while I was there which is getting edited just now. I will put it online as soon as it's ready! Also, check out 5th Threat, a great New Zealand punk band, and great friends of mine.

Last year you released the ‘It Starts Here’ EP. It was produced by the legendary Acey Slade ( Trashlight Vision, Murderdolls) which isn’t something many solo acoustic punk singers can add to their c.v.  Tell us a bit about that?
Acey is a really good friend. We met years ago at a Trashlight Vision gig in Edinburgh. I grew up listening to his music in Murderdolls and Amen, and loved what he was doing with Trashlight, and so I gave him a copy of my first EP. About two weeks later, I got an email from him saying we needed to work together. Voila!

Are there any plans or offers to head into the studio again for the follow up?
We're talking just now about that. I've been writing a lot of new songs and getting them ready to record my debut album. I recorded my first EP in Scotland, and my second in London. I think this time I will do the album half and half. I really want to get as many of my friends on it as possible, so I will see how it will work out! I can't wait to get the new songs recorded!

Your lyrics are very ordinary observations of the world around you. A believable world that most of us frequent. You have a sharp poetic insight though which makes for interesting narration. What is the most vital part of the whole process for you. Writing the lyrics or writing music good enough to bring out the lyrics?
Thank you. A bit of both really. The lyrics and the story are definitely where the song stems from but then it has to have a strong melody to carry those lyrics throughout the song. The best songs are the ones that come from nowhere. Those are the ones I try and hang on to. I can wake up with an entire song in my head or be sitting on a bus and suddenly frantically scribbling on the back of my bus ticket, with a complete song spilling out of me; lyrics and music.

What bands and artists influence you?
At the moment, I've been listening to Jesse Malin a lot, and his new band, Jesse Malin and The St. Marks Social. I saw him play recently at a sold out show at King Tuts in Glasgow, and it absolutely blew me away. The sheer energy of the band and the relentless smashing out of songs and passion with which they were executed was something I hadn't seen in some time. They played nonstop until they were literally dragged off stage by the promoter. Their album is incredible too. Also, been listening to Kings Of The Delmar, The Dead Class, I.C.H, Pascal Briggs, Sorry And The Sinatras, Bomb The Music Industry!, The Hold Steady and Andrew Jackson Jihad.

What does the immediate future hold for you?
Just got back from Rebellion Festival and that was one of the funnest gigs I've ever played - made so many new friends, saw so many amazing bands, and caught up with so many old friends. My friend Wayne from Kings Of The Delmar described Rebellion as a place where bands who normally pass each other in motorway service stations like ships in the night, get a chance every year to catch up properly and have a laugh. I think he's right! As for right now, I'm taking a bit of time off touring at the moment (for the first time in a long time!) to get the tracks ready for my album and decide which label I want to put it out on. I may sneak in a UK tour with Wayne before the year is out, and there's talk of a tour of Finland with Deek from Oi Polloi's new band, Kansalaistottelemattomuus, AND a tour of Australia, but we'll see how this year and next pan out!

Finally, who’d win in a fight between yourself and pint-sized Communards terrier Jimmy Somerville? 
Hahahaa why? Is he wanting a fight like? I'll box the cunt!

And on that note I thank you, sir!



For all Billy Liar gig listings and further info click the link at the bottom of this page

For press queries including requests for interview, guest listings, photographs, bookings and material for review contact Iain McDonald at  booking@billyliarmusic.com

No comments:

Post a Comment