Saturday, April 12, 2014

Louise Distras: Love Me The Way I Am.


Homophobia isn't as courageous, unconstrained or point-blank as most of us assume it to be. It doesn't shout loud but insinuates quietly. It rarely has the guts to stand up tall and verbalise so permeates with negative suggestion, it's poisoned malignance and bitter resent too unsophisticated to advocate with anything of any pertinence. It worms and it tunnels and it burrows with whispered prejudice until it becomes internalised in it's victims through their own perception of how they see themselves. That is the very worst of prejudices, the least visible but the most damaging. Thankfully it doesn't always win...but when it does. I am neither homosexual, bi-sexual or homophobic. I don't know how it must feel but, through the words of those I know who do, I can appreciate how it feels. The new single by Louise Distras 'Love Me The Way I Am' is her very personal and very tasteful interpretation of that very subject, based on and written about the experiences of a close friend and, regardless the narratives or the musics genre or even the 'protest singer' tag she has inherited....love IS love no matter what. I don't have the intellect or proper understanding to furnish it with anything other than the worthless opinionated conjecture, lousy with cliches, that seem to dress the bones of a review - and which are rarely about the context and all about the music anyway...so I wont even bother.


http://www.louisedistras.co.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment