Saturday, January 26, 2013

Peter & The Test Tube Babies



I went to see Peter And The Test Tube Babies playing at The Citrus Club in Edinburgh last night. I didn't review the gig so don't mistake this posting for being such. Although they wouldn't make it into my Top 10 punk bands they are very good at what they do. Energetic, loud and industriously cramming as much as they can into their set. Their booze fuelled humour quite often skims the line between joking and offensive, firing up the audience before launching into another flurry of tongue in cheek punk anthems - and they have written their fair share of them over the years  - with particular favourites 'Banned From The Pubs' 'Run Like Hell' 'Intensive Care' and 'Maniac' the ones guaranteed to lift the roof off every time. Their career has lasted a phenomenal 33 years which deserves nothing but the greatest respect in this day of ever changing attitudes, fashions and fickle tastes. I remember buying their debut album 'Pissed And Proud' which, in my opinion, remains their greatest work. I still rate that album enough to play it from time to time. They continue touring both in the UK and Europe and are a regular presence on the festival circuit. As I said, not one of my favourite bands, but they do put on a cracking show and deserve to be seen. So make sure you catch them live when you can. They're a good, fun night out.




No comments:

Post a Comment